What is a Lally Column?
In the late 1800’s, John Lally was upset and bewildered by buildings collapsing as a result of fires or inadequate support and searched for a solution. In 1898, in the town of Waltham, Massachusetts, a steel beam support column was invented by none other than John Lally, hence the name lally columns.
Why & When are Lally Columns looked at?
- During Construction Phase; by a town building inspector
- When a house is being sold; home inspector
- Concerned homeowner
What are the 6 Types of Columns?
- Adjustable Jacks
- Metal Column filled with concrete
- Hollow Steel
What Problems can arise from some of the above mentioned Lally Columns?
- Home Inspectors pick on them because they may not be up to code
- Can be made of materials that may deteriorate over time (brick, wood, blocks)
- Causes floor cracking due to weight (no footing underneath column)
- May cause structure to sag
What are the advantages of properly installed Metal Lally Columns filled with concrete?
- Up to code; home inspectors will not pick on them
- Metal Column filled with concrete – Strongest - best choice
- Sits on a concrete footing to allow additional support and limits floor cracks
- Offers support, even during a fire
- Resistant to deterioration
Whether you live in Waltham, MA Cumberland, RI Nashua, NH or Hartford, CT if you have water in your basement or need temporary lally columns replaced, contact A-1 Foundation Crack Repair today! A-1 Foundation Crack Repair, the basement waterproofing and permanent lally column installation experts.
Toll Free: 866-929-3171