Spring is here, along with the rain and warmer weather. This is the season that mold can begin to grow in your home. It is important to control mold and mildew. Mold and mildew affects people with allergies and asthma. But there are others who are more sensitive to the effects of mold including, infants and children, seniors, and people whose immune systems are compromised.
How do you control mold and moisture in your home?
- Use basement dehumidifiers and air conditioners to reduce moisture in the air.
- Keep indoor humidity below 60%.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean.
- Keep the house warm in cool weather. As the temperature goes down, the air is less able to hold moisture and it condenses on cold surfaces, which can encourage mold growth.
- Dry wet basements within 24 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Fix leaks and seepage. The ground should slope away from your house. If water is entering the basement from the outside, fix basement cracks with waterproofing.
- Open doors between rooms to increase circulation, which carries heat to cold surfaces. Increase air circulation by using fans and by moving furniture from wall corners.
For more information on basement dehumidifiers, contact A-1 Foundation Crack Repair.