Boxelder bugs, commonly known as “stink bugs”, can become a nuisance to homeowners throughout New England (MA, RI, NH & CT) during late Fall into winter months. When the cold weather hits, boxelder females search for a warm and dry place, and they somehow find a way into your home!
How do Stink Bugs Enter the Home?
- Foundation Cracks (Both floor and wall)
- Gaps around windows and doors
- Beneath Siding
Why are they called Stink Bugs?
- Stinkbug nickname - disturbing these insects will cause them to emit a foul-smelling odor. This noxious scent may remain in the home or if vacuumed, the vacuum cleaner for some time, even after the insects are removed.
The Ins & Outs of Stink Bugs?
- Peak Season – April through January, once cold weather hits they seek warmth (indoors)
- Diet – consists of boxelder flowers, fruits, leaves and small twigs (hence the name boxelder bug)
- Danger – these bugs are harmless, if they enter your home they will not eat clothing or food, just plants
Do Stink Bugs use Basements as Living Space?
- No, they will enter the basement through foundation cracks during the colder months. However, basements do not provide and food for the stink bugs so their stay is short lived.
What are some Solutions to prevent Stinks Bugs from entering the Home?
- Seal and fix foundation cracks and openings
- Caulk and properly seal window and doors
- Replace and/or fix any loose or rotted siding
Besides the 3 points above about preventing stink bugs from entering your home you can also try pesticides (oil, insecticidal soap, and pyrethrum). Don’t let box elder bugs have your wife jumping up and down screaming, Call A-1 Foundation Crack Repair today and have us seal your foundation cracks and voids!
Toll Free: 866-929-3171