Cleaning and Killing Mold
Killing mold that is already visible is actually quite easy. A simple borax solution is enough to do it. Borax is a common cleaning material, but unlike bleach, it is capable of killing mold on porous surfaces. Additionally, borax does not give off harmful fumes, unlike bleach or many other cleaning agents. However, borax is toxic, so keep your children and pets away from it.
- Mix 1 cup of borax with 1 gallon of water.
- Apply some of your mixture to your rag, sponge or paper towel, and wipe the effected area. A few wipes should be enough to do the trick.
In serious cases, you may need to give up on cleaning altogether and simply remove the moldy materials and replace them with new ones. Obviously, you do not want to have to do this repeatedly, so be sure to immediately put the next step into action. Mold needs humidity to grow. Because your mold is now gone and you are trying to prevent it from coming back, the best thing you can do is keep your basement free of humidity. Installing a dehumidifier should do thetrick in most cases.