A-1 foundation crack repair is an expert in preventing leaks but we can also help with basement mold in your home. Remember basement mold is a common problem in homes that have damp, dark basements. It is a fungus in which grows fast in moist, humid conditions. Mold, once it establishes its presence in your basement, is very difficult to get rid of. Mold causes several health problems such as asthma, infections, cough, rashes, congestion and allergies. The best way to prevent mold growth is to control humidity and moisture in your basement. Here are a few tips to try and prevent basement mold before it does get out of control.
- Monitor Humidity Levels. High humidity levels provide the perfect growing environment
- Make sure you use a dehumidifier.
- Avoid growing plants indoors. Only grow plants in sunny, airy locations in your home, and avoid the basement, for cultivation also.
- Reduce the amount of clutter in the basement, as some items block free flow of air, and reduce ventilation
- Avoid storing wood in the basement, as its an ideal habitat for mold.
- Ensure that water is directed away from your home
- If you have any leaks or spills in the basement, make sure you take care of them immediately
- Insulate the water pipes in your basement.
- Use an exhaust fan, and open doors and windows regularly
- And finally reduce humidifying factors, like drying wet clothes in the basement.
If you do experience mold and you are having trouble removing it, contact us and let A-1 Foundation Crack Repair deal with the mold.